The Ann Arbor Ski Club was formally organized in 1954. The first meeting was held in the auditorium of St. Joseph Mercy Hospital on November 4, 1954, and the second at the Pittsfield Grange Hall on November 18. According to several sources, the Ann Arbor Ski Club was the result of the union of two groups. The first group, consisting of seven people, had been informally organizing car pools for weekend trips north. The second group arose in August 1954 from cast members attending the annual corn roast of the Ann Arbor Civic Theatre. Both groups saw the need for car pools and they thought a club to serve these interests should be formed. The word spread within a few weeks and the organization was under way. By the spring of 1955 there were 52 members.
- Taken from a 1978 club publication.
We're not the oldest, but 64 years aint nuthin! We did get an early enough start to see most of the major changes that shaped the snow sports industry. And as a social club we've enjoyed a well known Ann Arbor presence since at least the 1970s.